Culture By Jane Stevenson 1290 Views

Three murdered in eight hours in Toronto

It was a violent weekend in Toronto as a fatal shooting and two deadly stabbings occurred within an eight-hour period between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

The body of a man shot in the head was found in the fourth-floor common area of an apartment building on Adelaide near Parliament after police got a call for shots fired early Sunday morning.

Police spokesman Katrina Arrogante said authorities are investigating whether if it was a targeted shooting.

The suspect has been described only as a white male wearing a black jacket, pants and baseball cap.

A vehicle on scene was being investigated.

One neighbourhood resident told the Sun he wasn’t that shocked at the news.

Toronto Police Forensics Identification Service Det. Const. Irvin Albrecht at a homicide investigation on Adelaide St. E, near Parliament St. in Toronto, Ont. on Sunday. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)

“It’s very scary, but at the same time it’s not that surprising given the number of shootings that have happened in the past few weeks in the city,” said Erik Von Stackelberg who’s lived across the street from the scene for four years.

In another incident, Michael Colastosti, 31, of Toronto faces first-degree murder and attempted murder charges after an elderly woman was stabbed to death early Saturday evening on Kipling Ave. near Dixon Rd.

The victim was identified as 84-year-old Elena Marcucci of Toronto.

A second woman was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries but her condition has since stabilized.

Arrogante said there was no information on the relationship, if any, between Colastosti and the two women.

Toronto Police at a homicide investigation across from Sherway Gardens in Toronto, Ont. on Sunday August 19, 2018. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)

And in a third event, a double stabbing on West Mall near Sherway Gardens at around 9:30 p.m Saturday led to one man dying and another treated for life-threatening injuries.

Police said the victim was pronounced dead in hospital and the other was undergoing surgery.

A third victim, a teenager, was also recovering in hospital with “unconfirmed injuries but it’s not life-threatening,” said Arrogante.

Police had no immediate information on suspects.